Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ashley Soltis Found Type Final



For my Found Type assignment, I went driving with a friend through a few of the southwest suburbs - namely, Oak Lawn, Crestwood, Chicago Ridge, and Beverly. I observed that these neighborhoods hold a lot of hidden treasures in terms of their vintage signs and logos. The wonderful thing about older neighborhoods is that they still maintain a decent amount of historically significant buildings, even if they are vacant and derelict. I did not have a particular theme in mind prior to capturing the shots, but as I progressed in my journey, I noticed a theme of luxury and flashiness - even if a bit cheesy. I suppose that's part of the vintage charm! I decided to uphold the "lux," "princess," and "condesa" theme, organizing my images as such on the grid, and highlighting related words. I also utilized my vintage Photoshop action to color-correct and correspond with the theme as well. Most of the fonts are of the script variety, and the less glamorous are both serif and sans-serif. I feel these images truly exhibit the personality of the neighborhoods of my childhood, and evoke nostalgic imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment