Sunday, July 22, 2012

Found Type Assignment


Drawing from the work of Ed Fella, I decided to make video game titles for my Found Type Project. Since I live in the University Center (which is in downtown Chicago, 525 S. State St.), I walked to the nearest store by my building that sells video games, movies, and albums. What made me decide to do video game titles is how extremely interested I am in the typography and graphic design of video games. What interests me is how the look and feel of the cover and the look and feel of the game tries to immerse the player. I've come to find out that what causes me to buy video games is the typography style it's presented. The store that I went to was Fye. That store sells music, video games, movies, and posters for movies. While I was in this store, the pattern I decided to explore was video game titles that have a very bold, hard edged, grid-iron like feel. If you look at Tekken, you would see and strong red stroke around the type with a loud and aggressive red bakcground over it. When you look at Street Figher X Tekken, you see that the red and the orange is combined together to form this very loud and aggressive title. Since those two games are fighting games, the reason why the typography is like that is to symbolize aggression. With MAG, and Fear 3, the typography on those represents a hard-edged metal feel. The typography is silver. Since Fear 3 and MAG are shooting games, I believe that the silver in the typography represents metal in guns. Soul Caliber 3 has this same hard edged silvery feel, the only difference is that the typography isn't silver. Instead of representing guns, I feel that the typography here represents swords. With Gears of War 3, NFL Madden 2012, and NCAA Football 2012, the typography in these titles have a very hard grid-iron like style to them which represents aggressions. Resistance 3 has the same very hard and aggressive style as well, the only difference is that the design of the typography feels more grittier and dirtier instead of the other designs which have a more neat and clean style. Overall, I chose to follow this pattern because action and fighting games are popular within our culture and I wanted to explore more of that by looking at these typography designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment