Monday, July 23, 2012

Emily Ryan: Typography Anatomy


I chose American Typewriter as my serif font because I enjoy the way it looks like an old fashioned typewriter. The serifs are not too overly decorative, with a touch here and there like with the capital letter J, but overall make it very easy to read. This font has straight serifs, normal weight, normal width, and medium contrast. This is a very sturdy font, because of the slightly heavier serifs on the lower half of the letters. The weight of the letters tapers in and out, slightly, which is characteristic of the old style of type. The stress is on the curves. At the same time, it is a very unified font, sharing a lot of characteristics from letter to letter. This makes me think of vintage advertisements, newsprints, and old letters.



I chose Futura for my sans serif font. This font is very similar to Helvetica; however, there are notable differences, such as the counter on the lowercase letter e. This font has no variation in stroke weight. It has a medium weight, normal width, and low contrast between thick and thin aspects. There is no stress on any letters. It is also very pointed, and I’m not sure if there is a technical term for that. This is also a very unified font, given the straight lines are shared throughout each letter, as are the curved lines. This is a very efficient, no nonsense font. It reminds me of any sort of manual, or street signs.



No comments:

Post a Comment