Thursday, July 26, 2012

Syeda N Ali - Typography Found Type Project


I chose to do my project on different car brands in a northwest suburban area – Palatine. The area is neither too low or too high range, it is a midrange neighborhood. When I captured the images, I saw how most of the cars did fit into a particular price range. Not only do these suggest the price range, but they also speak about the individuals residing there. Majority of the cars are family cars, they are big, not too fancy or expensive, and comfortable. This reveals that there are more families compared to single living people.
After capturing the images, I selected the ones that I felt were more recognizable as brands and are well known. The way I arranged these images into the grid is by color theme, and the font sizes. Some of the fonts are bigger than the others, and some have more word spacing between them. For instance, Eclipse is more spaced put compared to Dodge, so I placed it in a position where it doesn’t look imbalanced. Also, The only car brand that has a cursive found type is Ford, as all others are non cursive. Thus, I put ford at the center of the grid so it balances out with the other found types. I tried to merge the pictures in a way so have similar Serif and Sans serif fonts as well. Something like a Cadillac (which is written in a cursive found type) would not really go with the theme I was trying to bring out.I think each car brand has a personality of its own, and the typographic fonts contribute to the symbolization of it as well. For example, the Camry is a midrange car and the found type used is crisp and condensed, not as fancy as Ford with bolder and a classic feeling to it. Mazda is plane font, and Civic is more of a casual kind of a font. Overall, I tried to mix and match the colors and the found types of the cars in one particular neighborhood that could reveal some personality about it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment