Monday, July 23, 2012

Syeda N Ali - Typography anatomy Assignment

Serif Font:
For my Serif font, I chose “Footlight MT Light.” This font brings some sort of printed academic document to my mind, almost like a student handbook or a poster on a wall. I can see how the rounded letters such as G, O, D etc. are heavier from one side but light from the other, yet they bring an overall sense of balance to the eyes of the reader. These letters are heavily weighted from the center, and light from the corners, which makes the letters neither too bold nor narrow. The ascenders and descenders of the font type are not very long for either upper case or lower case, so it is also clean and crisp to read the font. Although it is not very fancy, it is not very boring or plain to me. In addition to what I feel about it personally, I have also seen this font used in some newspapers as well, so I can say that it brings a sense of importance as well. 
Sans Serif Font:
For my Sans Serif font, I decided to go with Berlin Sans FB. When I look at this font I feel like it can be used in certain brands, as it is clean and not too fancy, yet clear to read. The letters in the upper case are equally weighted from all sides; however this is not the case with lowercase letters.  In the lower case letters, alphabets are not straight, in fact are somewhat rounded. Also, they are heavy weighted on most parts, but the joints are lighter weighted, such as in the letters “b, d, h, and u.” The word spacing of this font also makes a large amount of text look condensed, as all alphabets are close to each other and not very far away. This brings a sense of formal being, as most professional places would not use fonts with too much spacing between words.


No comments:

Post a Comment