Monday, July 30, 2012

Emily Ryan: Found Type Project









For this found type project I decided to go with a theme that I am very familiar with, and that is The Beatles. My parents have always been big fans and luckily for me they have a lot of memorabilia. I photographed old posters and album covers. It was really amazing to go through and actively realize how many different fonts were used throughout their musical history. They used both serif and sans serif fonts, as well as some cool fonts that completely encapsulate the 1960s, fonts made from silhouettes, and letters made completely out of flowers! I had more pictures than I could use, unfortunately, but what I decided to do was go with a black, white, and red color scheme. The mostly red photos are in a diamond shape, middle, left, right and middle bottom. Then the other spots are black and white. I also tilted the type so it is flowing nicely from right to left and focused on the center. I wanted the letters to direct your attention to the center. So I pointed words on the bottom reading up and the opposite for the picture on the top right. For this project I really thought about how we overlook font and typography and began to notice it more often. Although it’s distracting while driving I hope I continue to take notice in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment