Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nicolle Rezwin- Chapter 1 reading response

 



Chapter 1, The Evolution of Typography, shows the history of typography through the decades. I like how images of key moments in typography are shown instead of reading text of what has happened. Reading key moments can be boring at times and can be like you are in a history class. I like this approach better because the images make you feel that you were actually there  and experiencing key moments in the evolution of typography. In this chapter,  I have picked out some pictures in history that I thought were really interesting to me and worth noting.
The first image I chose was number 9. 1500 B.C the Phoenician alphabet. This alphabet was the very first alphabet and consisted of twenty-two characters. The Greeks have then developed the alphabet more into the kind of what we have today.
The next image I chose was image number 38. This is a picture from 1450 to 1455. It was a page from Gutenberg’s 42 line bible. This was the first European typographic book. I find this interesting because I can not believe that typography has been around and it amazes me that typography has been developed over decades and we still use it in our world today.
Another image that I found interesting was image number 44. An image in 1475 by William Caxon. Typography from the first book printed in the English language. This image is interesting to me because the English back then looks so different from the English words we have today. I cannot believe how far the English language has evolved and we still use it today.
Overall, This chapter had really interesting pictures from the key moments in typography. I liked how it was in a timeline format so the reader can see how far typography has come.
For an image, I decided to find a key moment in typography for 2010. It is when  web fonts arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment