Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ashley Soltis - Roy Lichtenstein

The Roy Lichtenstein exhibit at the museum was phenomenal. I've always admired his work from afar, seeing snippets of his work on blogs online, but it was a rare treat to view these pieces in person. I especially enjoy his depiction of love versus war, and how both are portrayed as extremities in their drama. I'm not particularly a fan of his cubist work, but I did enjoy the one piece where he painted a woman in three steps, and she essentially vanished. His work feels very nostalgic, and reminds me of vintage ads or diners - this comes from the style of the people (hair, clothes) and the rotary telephones, for instance. I also enjoyed seeing the "dot" expression close-up, and how it appealed to the naked eye - for example, the half-tone dots had a gradient look, and it was almost difficult to discern the color. Overall, I really liked seeing his work and it gave me an additional inside look to this time period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment