Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Syeda N Ali - Roy Liechtenstein


As a class visit to The Art Institute of Chicago, Roy Liechtenstein's work was definitely one that stood out from many of the other artists. Not only in the different approach he had taken in terms of his paintings and drawings, but also in the way he had tried to portray the artwork. 
I really think it was amazing to see such creativity and variety within the work of the same artist. His main focus was artwork depicted through dots of different colors and sizes, which made up the whole image. His work ranged from portraits and photos of landscapes as well. It was outstanding to see how one can have so many variations through dots.
He also had pop art, which really attracted me. Although the work was done in quite an older period of time, it still looks relevant and modern in many ways. Something that also drew my attention to my eyes was the fact that he had a lot of paintings that portrayed women in different styles, either on daily home chores, or plating outdoors. It was interesting to see how an artist of that era had given significance to women, and not just as mere objects but as individual beings.
I appreciate his talents and can see from where he was trying to show different forms of happenings around him. I also noticed the detailed sketch he had made on a much smaller scale before actually painting the large paintings, which I felt were fascinating as they were exactly the same, besides the size. I felt like he had given a lot of abstract artwork as well, and a lot of thought was put into each piece before being exhibited.
Personally, to me Roy Liechtenstein’s works were one of the most memorable artworks I had even seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment