Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chapters 5

Chapter 5 
Chapter 5 talks about the typographic grid. This chapter defines a grid as a skeletal framework used by designers to organize information. Grids were rooted in the earliest written forms, from cuneiform tablets to Heiroglyphic writing. The development of the grid cannot be attributed to a single individual or to an accidental discovery. It is a result of many pioneering efforts, including experiments by renegade designers associated with the movements of Futurism, Dadaism, Constructivism, ect. In grids, divided space is perceived as a system of proportional relationships. To work effectively with the typographic grid is to understand that it is also a system of proportions. After reading this chapter, it made me appreciate the grid more for a number of reasons. The first reason is that the grid helps align pictures, images, and text to its proportional size. I remember when I was doing the Found Type project, I turned on the grid in Photoshop in order for each of my images to be lined up 3x3 inches. Second, the grid makes your whole composition look neater. I would look at websites and admire them so much because the content on the websites are so neatly laid out. Then I examine why and it's because the designers of the website would use a grid for their layout. Overall, reading this chapter has not only made me appreciate the grid more, now I'm pretty much a fan of the grid.

No comments:

Post a Comment