Thursday, August 16, 2012

Emily Ryan - Music Poster





For this project I was inspired by the very simplistic example that was shown in class. I thought it was interesting to almost strip the music down to it’s basic parts but still be able to convey rhythm, emphasis, and pattern. I stuck with the theme of some Lady Gaga songs that I had heard acoustic versions of, because again I wanted to take the simple form of the complex music to turn it into the poster. For each song I wanted to try to convey mostly the emphasis of the lyrics, which I did my highlighting them with a certain font or style to the font. The only other form I used were some simple lines in order to create breaks and structure. For “Hair” I wanted to get across the sense of strength I hear in the song, especially from the lyrics themselves. I wanted to use a bold typeface (without being too bold) because it is in my opinion more impactful. I used a serif font called Hoefier Text, and for each of the compositions I also used a script text I got off of dafont.com called Never Let Go. For “The Edge of Glory” I used another serif font called Trajan Pro, but this one had a great amount of kerning, because the song lyrics are elongated on those certain words. In this instance I saved the script type for mostly the background words, so to speak, and the other type for the emphasis. For “YoĆ¼ & I” (I’m not sure about the umlaut, that is just how the song title is published) I used Minion Pro and the script font again. This song is slower in comparison so I put in the punctuation in hopes that it would slow down the composition. Over all for this project I wanted to create a sense of cohesiveness between the three separate pieces. I tried to do this by using similar fonts for all three, and I also made them all the same size. If someone did not know anything about these posters at all, I was hoping that by doing that they could at least sense that they were a set. I really tried to make everything line up for the most part as well. Overall I really enjoyed this project, and I liked the challenge of the simplicity. (However I might be interesting to go back and re-do this project using a different style that’s more complex!)


No comments:

Post a Comment