Saturday, August 11, 2012

Emily Ryan - Roy Lichtenstein Exhibit


The Roy Lichtenstein exhibit at the Art Museum was wonderful! I am so glad I got to see it. I really enjoy pop art and comments on society. I think it is so interesting that he managed to take something like a comic strip and reproduce in a way that brings attention to what he wants us to see. I really enjoy the seemingly simplistic work when in reality it’s very intricate and requires skill and dedication to create such works. I thought it was very interesting the progression of his work. Although the inspiration changed slightly through out his career, most notably I remember the section on Van Gough; I thought it was very cool he translated his own aesthetic throughout. I love the half-tone dots, it is amazing how many different things you can accomplish with just them. I thought the mirrors series was interesting, I wish I could have looked at that more in depth. I really liked the art deco influences pieces as well, because I have always enjoyed that look. I also enjoy the simple colors. I really liked the last room of the exhibit, too, with the Japanese style works but incorporating the Ben-Day dots. His sketches were interesting to look at, as well. They are sure a lot better than any of my sketches! Overall it was a great exhibit, I loved the way it flowed from beginning of his career to the end. I really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment